Once you have decided that the task is in need of your attention and your answers to the following questions have come back favourable.
- What am I getting out of completing this task?
- What am I compromising?
The next step is to plot your tasks on the grid below.
Take each task and ask yourself these 2 questions.
- On a scale of 1-10. How important is this task?
- How urgent is this task? Using a time frame as a guide.
Once you have defined the task’s level of importance and urgency, plot the task on the grid.
For example: My task is very important, but slightly urgent. Therefore it will be plotted on number 3 of the grid. There will be other tasks, which will take priority over this one.
|Importance scale: On a scale from 1-10.· Not important: between 1-3
· Slightly important: between 4-6
· Very Important: between 7-10
|Urgency scale: This is based on a time scale.· Extremely urgent (must be completed today)
· Slightly urgent (can be completed within the next 3 days
· Not urgent (Can be completed next week)
|Not Important||Slightly Important||Very Important|
|Extremely urgent(must be completed today)
|Slightly urgent(can be completed within the next 3 days)
|Not urgent(Can be completed next week)
Once the tasks have been plotted. Look at blocks 1,2 and 3. These would be your priority tasks.